FREE SHIPPING on all U.S. orders $25 or more
Our thoughts on everything from what attracts mosquitoes to why you should live life outdoors — and more!
As summer approaches and Zika-related cases continue to spread across the U.S., people are understandably becoming concerned about mosquito bites and eager to learn how to prevent them. That said, we did a little digging and thought we’d share some interesting facts that you might not be aware of concerning the world of mosquitoes.
What Attracts Mosquitoes?
1. Mosquitoes love moisture, heat and strong odors such as sweat.
2. Mosquitoes are attracted to large concentrations of carbon dioxide. Larger people emit more carbon dioxide, which is why mosquitoes are typically drawn to adults more than children.
3. Pregnant women give off larger than normal amounts of carbon dioxide when they exhale, making them more attractive to mosquitoes.
4. Being active increases your CO2, so running will attract more mosquitoes than sitting still. Body odor and lactic acid production also attract mosquitoes when you exercise.
5. Dark clothing — don’t wear it if you’re planning to spend an extended period of time outdoors. Mosquitoes can see you better if you’re dressed in dark colors because you stand out against the horizon, which they can see from a distance.
6. Drinking beer can make you more attractive to mosquitoes, and other than increasing your body temperature, researchers have not figured out exactly why this is true.
7. Mosquitoes are drawn to many chemicals that humans give off; one is closely related to estrogen, which is why women are bitten more than men.
8. Mosquitoes are most active during the night, in cloudy conditions and in shaded areas.
9. As the above would suggest, mosquitoes do not like intense sunlight.
10. A full moon increases mosquito activity by 500%.
Keep these in mind when preparing to enjoy the outdoors this summer. If you know you’ll be more attractive to mosquitos due to factors like exercise or pregnancy, be sure to spray well and often with our repellent products, staying protected with an all natural shield you can feel good about.